7 April 2011

San Marco: It's blinging pimptastic

The basilica of San Marco could not be more gold if it tried. Every inch of wall is covered in the stuff. And everywhere that isn't covered in gold is covered in signs saying 'Do NOT take photos, I repeat, DO NOT take photos.' 
Of course, I was taking photos. This caused a lot of controversy within the tourist community joining us on our church jaunt. I was berated by everyone except the Italian guards watching out for tourists taking photos. But, as I repeatedly argued in my head, I didn't use flash so there is no harm. Get over it.
The most memorable confrontation was with a young chap around twelve on a school trip. I was taking a picture of the floor – yes, the inanimate marble floor – and this little kid sneered, ‘You’re not allowed to take pictures’. I replied politely and calmly, ‘I know.’ He looked at me like I was the devil incarnate and snarled, ‘And you don’t CARE???!!!????'
All for taking a photo of the marble floor. Kids these days.


Mosaics outside the church entrance
Wall to wall bling

Kirsten and me
San Marco campanile

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...