1 December 2011

They're moist, they're rich, they're chewy...

What I find really weird is that when making tasty snacks and treats at home, I never seem to think of the calorie content. I'll happily spoon cake mixture into my mouth without thinking, "Actually this is just butter, eggs and sugar and therefore horrifically bad for me." It's really weird. If I was in a bakery, the thought of eating three brownies in a row would fill me with absolute horror (mainly because you have to pay for three brownies). But when I've baked them myself, in my head they have the equivalent health benefits of raw carrots and I will scoff them down without any guilt whatsoever.

I made brownies yesterday and ate two of them this morning before breakfast! In my defence, they are exceptionally delicious and unbelievably more-ish. So I blame them.

By the way, the title of this post is supposed to be said in the voice of Greg Wallace off Masterchef. He's my favourite.

mega intense yummy brownies...

200g dark chocolate
175g unsalted butter
325g caster sugar or soft light brown sugar (must be these otherwise they go a bit grainy)
150g plain flour
3 eggs
Tsp vanilla extract
Chopped hazelnuts / walnuts / brazil nuts if you want
  1. Preheat oven to 170℃ 
  2. Melt the chocolate and the butter in bain-marie or a heatproof bowl over a a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until smooth and well combined and remove from the heat. 
  3. Whizz in some sugar until the sugar has dissolved 
  4. Gently fold in the flour 
  5. Add the eggs and vanilla extract then mix until thick and gooey 
  6. Spoon mixture into your brownie tin (sprinkle nuts on top if you want them) and bake for 30-35 minutes or until pale and flaky on the top and dense and moist in the middle. 
  7. Leave them to cool completely. They will continue cooking whilst cooling so don't worry if you think they are a bit under cooked. 
  8. If you cut them into smaller squares, you can eat at least four in a row. 
  9. Slip into a chocolate-brownie-heaven induced coma 


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...