18 September 2011

Brave Tart

This weekend, I went back to my home countryside for a mini-break. I didn't necessarily need a break from London but I had three days off work and thought family, friends and fresh air would be quite a nice way to pass the time.

How wrong I was.

This morning, in the beautiful brisk Autumn sunshine, I took our dog Mabel for a long walk in the surrounding fields. I was completely alone on the track so was merrily and loudly singing BeyoncĂ©'s greatest hits. As I belted out a disgraceful version of Love On Top - complete with key changes - I passed a herd of cows frolicking in the stream. So startled they were by my screeching, they started on me and Mabel just like the rioters started on Footlocker. I am born and bred in the countryside and very used to farmyard animals, but a herd of twenty cows galloping towards you is quite disconcerting. So I ran as fast as I could in the opposite direction and vaulted the stile into the next field.

However, I vaulted into a large bush of stinging nettles. And running in my mangy old wellies sliced my feet so badly I had to remove them, blood-stained, and walk home disgruntled through the mud with bare feet and stinging legs.

To cheer myself up, I decided to make my extra tasty treacle tart to be the pudding of the 'welcome home' sunday roast my parents are making me.

alright treacle tart...
Packet of pre-made sweet pastry
175g brown bread, crusts removed, roughly torn
90g unsalted Jersey butter
2 large eggs
70ml double cream
1 tbls salt (seems like a lot but balances sweetness of golden syrup)
720g golden syrup
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°c.
  2. Roll the pastry dough out to 2mm thick and line a tart ring. Cover with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans and blind bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the pastry is golden-brown, removing the beans during the last five minutes of baking. It needs to have "a good bake" otherwise you'll get a "soggy bottom" as they say in Great British Bake Off.
  3. Turn the oven temperature down to 160°c.
  4. For the treacle tart filling, place the bread into a food processor and pulse to fine breadcrumbs. Heat the butter and golden syrup in a pan. Mix the eggs, cream, and salt in a bowl until well combined. Pour the golden syrup mixture into the egg and cream mixture, then stir in the breadcrumbs.
  5. Pour the mixture into the cooked tart case, then bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Turn the oven temperature down to 140°c and bake for a further 20 minutes, or until the tart is golden-brown and bubbling, then remove from the oven and allow to cool before turning out.
  6. Serve with raspberries and cream. 
Fuck yes.



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...